Monday, March 4, 2019

33 and counting

Hello and welcome to all the lonely bored people who have randomly found this blog. I promise everything I'm about to tell you is true.

This blog is about student loans. The good the bad and the ugly. It's is space for me to vent my frustrations, but also for you to share. I want this to be the space of catharsis for all your student debt horror stories and successes. Who knows, maybe we can help each other?

I am a mid-level professional struggling in 2019 to pay for everything. I'm not as bad off as some, not doing as great as others. I want to talk about my journey paying off my debt but also bring in articles about how our generation is shouldering the continual burden of the 2008 financial crisis.

As an elder millennial, I was one of the lucky ones. I finished my undergraduate degree in 2008 and landed a job right out of school.  When I decided that I need to change my life, I joined Peace Corps and started a 5-year journey that started in West Africa and finished in Washington D.C with me in a basement apartment with $76,000 of debt and a GS level 9 job at 31 years old.

Today my balance is 69,307.27. I have paid 7,185.64 on my principle amount and 9,518.07 in interest. 

I'm counting on my federal job to repay my debt in 10 years, but I'm not sure this program will last, or that this is real. 

If you would like to comment, leave your debt numbers below as you feel comfortable. 

Has anyone received loan forgiveness? How much have you paid off before you got your loans forgiven? 

No comments:

Post a Comment